What is the difference between S45C Steel and C45 Steel ?
Differences between S45C and C45:
- S45C is a medium strength steel. Suitable for shafts studs, keys etc. Available as rolled or normalised. Supplied as square bar, or round bar or flat. They are excelling in weldability & machinability , and they can be subjected to various heat treatments. Based on JIS G 4051-2009
- S45C Mechanical Properties
Density (kg/m3) 7700-8030
Young’s Modulus (GPa) 190-210
Tensile Strength (Mpa) 569 (Standard) 686 (Quenching, Tempering)
Yield Strength (Mpa) 343 (Standard) 490 (Quenching, Tempering)
Poisson’s ratio 0.27-0.30
- S45C Hardness
Brinell Hardness (HB) 160-220 (Annealed)
- JIS S45C Equivalents
DIN Equivalents for JIS S45C
C45, CK45, CF45, CQ45
ASTM Equivalents for JIS S45C
ASTM A29 , ASTM A510 , ASTM A519 , ASTM A576 , ASTM A682
SAE Equivalents for JIS S45C
SAE J403 , SAE J412 , SAE J414
AISI Equivalents for JIS S45C
AISI 1045, AISI 1046
EN Equivalents for JIS S45C
EN-8 / BS 970 080M40
- S45C Chemical Composition
Carbon (C) 0.42% – 0.48%
Silicon (Si) 0.15% – 0.35%
Manganese (Mn) 0.6% – 0.9%
Phosphorus (P) 0.030% Max
Sulphur (S) 0.035% Max
- Heat Treatment
The following temperature ranges are applicable for the respective heat treatment operations.
Full Annealing 800 – 850°C
Normalising 840 – 880°C
Hardening 820 – 860°C
Quenching medium Water or Oil
Tempering 550 – 660°C
- Melting Point
Melting point of S45C is ~1520 Degree Celsius
- C45 is a non-alloy medium carbon steel.
- Chemical Composition
Ferro (Fe), Carbon (C) 0.43-0.50%, Silicon (Si) 0.17-0.4%, Manganese (Mn) 0.50-0.8%, Nickel (Ni)
- C45 is a medium carbon steel is used when greater strength and hardness is desired than in the “as rolled” condition. Extreme size accuracy, straightness and concentricity combine to minimize wear in high speed applications. Turned, ground and polished.
- Soft Annealing
Heat to 680-710oC, cool slowly in furnace. This will produce a maximum Brinell hardness of 207.
Normalizing temperature: 840-880oC/air.
Harden from a temperature of 820-860oC followed by water or oil quenching.
Tempering temperature: 550-660oC/air.
ANBAO HYDRAULIC is a professional manufacturer of S45C/C45 tubes and rods, including honed tubes,pre-honed tubes,chrome bars,chrome plated rods,hollow chrome shafts;we have more than 20 years experience for export, if you have any inquiry ,please feel free to contact us.